If you are anything like me, carbs are a must in the morning. Most mornings start with exercise for me, so it is important to refuel afterwards and prepare myself for the day ahead!
Now you can obviously opt for the usual oats and bananas, but why not try something a little different?
Using sweet potato as the carb source at breakfast time is such a fantastic option. Full of vitamin A, C and beta-carotene they are the perfect gluten free, low GI carbohydrate source with benefits!
You can make this recipe your own by substituting your favourite granola’s, yogurts, nut butters and fruits, mix it up and see what flavours work! Cinnamon and sweet potato is really a match made in heaven I promise. I would recommend roasting the potatoes the night before and reheating in the microwave or oven for a speedy morning.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Boats – serves 2
1 medium sized sweet potato
2 servings of natural yoghurt
2 servings of granola of choice
handful of mixed berries
2 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp maple syrup
pinch of cinnamon + extra to serve
- Pre heat your oven to 190 degrees celcius
- Rub the outside of your potato with a small amount of olive oil and sprinkle cinnamon over the skin
- Prick the skin all over with a fork and then wrap up in some aluminum foil, placing into the oven to roast for 30-60 minutes, depending on the size, check at 30 minutes by pricking with a fork or butter knife
- Once tender, slice the sweet potato in half length ways and place on plates
- Dollop on the yoghurt and nut butter, sprinkle over the granola and berries and then serve with a drizzle of maple syrup + a pinch of extra cinnamon, enjoy!