After seeing donuts absolutely everywhere on social media I just had to get around this trend, and as you can see they did not disappoint!
A baked doughnut is never going to be the same as a deep fried sugar coated doguhnut, BUT that definitely does not mean these are any less delicious! These are a fantastic option for a kids party, or like me, an adults party aka me on the couch with a pot of tea and a whole batch of these babies.
Topping options are endless but really, you can never go past sprinkles. I found some all natural chocolate sprinkles at my local supermarket so definitely worth having a look. You could obviously skip the icing, but really where is the fun in that? I really hope you all love these as much as I do!
Double Chocolate Spelt Donuts
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup wholewheat spelt flour
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 cup coconut sugar or raw sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup macadamia oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 free range eggs
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 100g dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 100ml coconut cream
- Toppings: chocolate sprinkles, coconut, choc chips, cacao nibs and anything else you can think of!
- Pre heat your oven to 175
- Grease a donut tin with coconut oil and set aside
- Combine all dry ingredients, apart from chocolate chips, and set aside
- Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and oil in a large bowl, pour into dry mixture and fold together
- Add in the chocolate chips
- Using a piping bag squeeze the mixture into the doughnut tin
- Bake for 11 minutes and cool completely before removing from the tin
- To make ganache warm coconut cream in a small saucepan until simmering
- Pour warm coconut cream over the chocolate stirring until completely melted and smooth
- Dunk half of each donut into the ganache and sprinkle over desired toppings
- Place into the fridge to set