I know Easter is all about indulging, but I think it should definitely be about indulging in amazing quality produce, not highly processed packaged foods which will leave you feeling less than vibrant!
After having a look at the ingredients list on a packet of hot cross buns at the super market, I knew I had to make my own. These buns are wholewheat and refined sugar free, they wont leave you feeling weighed down but you still get to enjoy this classic Easter treat!
Of course there is no harm is slathering them in butter, it is Easter after all!
Wholesome Hot Cross Buns
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) warm almond milk
- 1 (7g) sachet dry yeast
- a pinch of salt
- 4 cups whole spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg & allspice
- 60g butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate bits (I used sugar free but could also use dairy free!)
- 1/4 cup chopped dates or sultanas
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup water and 1/4 cup spelt flour (for the cross )
- Put the warm milk in a bowl and sprinkle in the yeast, salt and a pinch of the sugar. Stir lightly and check that it begins to foam, this means the yeast is active.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice into a large bowl. Rub in the butter then stir in the sugar, chocolate and dates.
- Lightly mix the egg into the milk and yeast mixture then add that to the dry ingredients.
- Mix together with a spoon until it becomes a soft dough and then turn it out onto a floured surface and knead till smooth – about 5- 10 minutes.
- Roll into a large ball
- Place the dough ball into a lightly floured bowl, cover with a tea towl and leave in a warm place till doubled in size, this will take about an hour.
- Once risen, push it down a little and then knead it again on a lightly floured surface a couple of times
- Divide into equal sized portions and knead each one lightly.
- Place them on a greased or lined baking tray, they can be touching.
- Cover the tray and let them rise again for around 30 minutes.
- Mix together flour and water to a paste. Put it into a plastic bag, snip off a small cut at the corner, and pipe a cross onto the top of each bun.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Cook for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat to 180 degrees and cook for another 15 minutes until the buns are nice and brown and sound hollow when tapped.
- Take the buns out of the oven and put them on a rack to cool.
- Feel free to glaze them with sugar syrup or even jam.
Yum! Serve hot with lots of butter! Happy Healthy Easter! X