Banana bread! Generally served lathered in butter and made with proccessed white flour and far too much sugar. So I decided to come up with a recipe which is so healthy you can eat it for breakfast!
This recipe includes flaxseed, chia, oats AND almonds, which makes it the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack to keep to going for hours! All of the ingredients used within this recipe bring health-promoting omega 3 fats, potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, powerful antioxidants and natural anti-inflammatories, but don’t worry, it’s been done without sacrificing any of that classic buttery delicious banana bread flavour!
This is a super easy recipe, so no excuses to not have a nourishing breakfast ready to go during the week!
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana + one banana for decoration
- 3 free range eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup macadamia oil
- 1-3 tblsp honey ( Depending on how sweet you like it )
- 1tsp cinnamon
- sprinkle of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1tblsp chia seed
- 1tblsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 160 °C.
- Mash bananas and mix in eggs, vanilla, oil and honey.
- In a seperate bowl combine oat flour, almond meal, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, chia, flax and coconut.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet.
- Mix in nuts.
- Pour into lined bread tin, top with sliced banana and extra nuts.
- Bake for 45 – 60 minutes, don’t allow it to completely dry out as you want it to be moist!
- Let cool completely before removing from the tin.
There you have it! There are so many other things you could add to this recipe such asberries, cacao nibs or other different nuts! It can also easily be made gluten free by using 2 cups of almond meal rather than half oat flour. I served mine toasted with a dollop of natural peanut butter, yum!