It is just the best feeling ever when you come up with a recipe and visualize it in your mind and when you try it out it turns out exactly how you pictured it! That’s exactly what happened here.
I absolutely love pistachio cake so when my partner came home with a huge bag full I knew I had to do something delicious with them! Everyone knows lime and pistachio are an amazing combination, but paired with creamy avocado it is a match made in heaven! Normal butter cream icing can be so overly sweet that it takes away from the delicate flavours of a cake. The creaminess and subtle sweetness of this frosting works so perfectly with these cakes, so don’t be scared of the avocado!
These cakes don’t just taste delicious, they are also gluten free! I have used a combination of ground pistachios, almonds and brown rice flour as the base for these beautiful loaves. Pistachios are a fantastic source of many different minerals including copper, manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium and zinc! Combined with the avocado these cakes are also full of fibre, which is something many people are not getting enough of! So give these beauties a go next time your having morning tea and prepare to be amazed!
Pistachio & Lime Mini Loaves with Avocado Frosting – Makes 5 Mini Loaves
1 cup shelled pistachios
1/2 cup almonds
3/4 cup rice flour sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 vanilla bean
zest of 2 limes + juice of 1
1/4 cup macadamia oil
1/2 cup honey
3 tbsp maple
3 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C
- Line a mini loaf tin with baking paper on the bottom of each mould and grease the sides with oil or butter
- Grind almonds and pistachios in a food processor until finely ground, place into a large bowl with the flour, baking powder and salt
- In a seperate bowl combine eggs, oil, lime juice and zest, honey and vanilla
- Pour wet into dry and mix well to combine
- Pour mixture into mini loaf tin
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean
- While cakes are baking place all frosting ingredients into a blender and blend to combine
- Place frosting mixture into a piping bag and place in the fridge to firm up
- Once cakes have cooled fully pipe over the frosting and serve immediately!