Cacao, matcha and mint, three incredible flavour and nutritional power houses combined to create these delicious little morsels!
If you know me, you know I have always loved the choc + mint flavour combo, and these treats and no exception! You have a few different options on how you choose to add the mint flavour to your cups. You can simply use peppermint essence, find some natural peppermint oil, use some fresh green mint leaves or even a combination of both. I have used peppermint oil in this recipe, so if you change it up be sure not to go over board, add a little then taste until it is to your liking.
if you haven’t heard of matcha tea yet prepare to become obsessed. Matcha is a high quality powdered green tea which is traditionally Japanese. It is considered one of the best super foods around today for its incredible antioxidant properties. Matcha contains a unique, potent class of antioxidant known as catechins, which aren’t found in other foods. In particular, the catechin EGCg provides potent cancer-fighting properties.
Matcha is also a fantastic substitute for your morning coffee, it boosts energy, mental clarity and improves memory all due to not only the naturally occurring caffeine but also the unique combination of vitamins and minerals!
Not only all of this but it has also been found to help boost your metabolism AND burn fat, too good to be true? I thought so too. I have used Bareblends in this recipe, it pays to do your research before purchasing your matcha powder as you want to find a really good quality one to ensure you receive all of those amazing health benefits!
I have added only a small amount of the matcha powder to this recipe but you can feel free to add more or leave it out altogether, adjust it to your taste preferences!
Choc Mint Matcha Cups – Makes approx 17 mini cups
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 2 tsp matcha green tea powder (I used Bareblends)
- 1 tsp peppermint oil or essence
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- Place all base ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth
- Spoon small amounts of the base mixture into mini muffin cases to fill them half way, press down gently
- Place into freezer while you make the chocolate
- Place all chocolate ingredients into a small saucepan over a low heat and stir until completely melted
- Pour chocolate over the bases in the muffin tins to fill to the top
- Place into the freezer to set, about half an hour
- Store in the fridge
Enjoy! This is one the kids will love too!