Chocolate will always be my first love, but citrus desserts are a very close second! These little tarts are bursting with sweet tangy citrus flavour whilst being sweetened with honey and dates, plus they are dairy and gluten free!
The base for these tarts is simply made from nuts and dates and can be customized to suit swapping the almonds and cashews for other nuts or seeds, or even oats if you are not gluten free!
Coconut oil is the perfect substitution for butter when making the curd, it adds a delightful creaminess without adding all that unhealthy added fat. It will take time for the curd to thicken, don’t lose hope! Just keep on whisking no matter how much your wrist may hurt and all of a sudden you will have some thick gooey sweet lemon curd!
I’m sure you have all heard of the many different benefits you can gain by consuming coconut oil regularly, but do you know much about what you should look for when purchasing it? Make sure you are purchasing un-refined coconut oil, refined coconut oil has been highly processed, generally using many different chemicals, in order to bleach and deodorize it. They may partially hydrogenate the oil, too, which means it will contain trans-fats. Un-refined coconut oil is extracted from fresh coconut flesh rather than dried and it is not subject to the processing which refined coconut oil is. This means it retains its coconut scent and health benefits!
For this recipe I used H2coco un-refined coconut oil which is Australian made, organic, gluten free and vegan! All the things you should be looking for when purchasing good coconut oil!
Now, lets get to this amazing recipe!
Healthy Lemon Curd Tarts
- 3/4 Cup Cashews
- 3/4 Cup Almonds
- 1 Cup Dates
- tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- zest of one lemon
- juice from 1 1/2 medium lemons
- Line a muffin tin with muffin cases
- Place all nuts and vanilla into the food processor and blend for a few seconds until crumbly
- Add dates whilst processor is running until well combined
- Add water if mix is too dry
- Press base mixture into muffin tins using wet hands – can be quite fiddly, a small spoon can also be helpful!
- Place tart bases into the fridge while you make your curd
- Whisk egg yolks with honey in a small saucepan – not on the heat yet!
- Add all other curd ingredients and then place onto a low heat whisking constantly
- Once the coconut oil has completely melted raise temperature up to medium, continuing to whisk
- Whisk continuously until you have a curd consistency – around 5 – 10 minutes
- Allow to cool slightly then place in the fridge to cool completely
- Spoon small amounts of curd into your tart cases
- Remove tarts from the cases
- Store in the fridge!
Tada! A very impressive dessert, perfect coming into the festive season as it is a healthy dessert that the entire family will love! Feel free to top with fresh berries or serve with some whipped coconut cream too! Heaven!