I created this recipe as I have been wanting a healthy snack to have during the week while i’m at home studying. After recently trying out some new protein bars I found i really don’t like the artificial taste, these babies are made out of all natural ingredients whilst still being full of protein, healthy fats and antioxidants! If you are someone who always reaches for the overly sweet, highly processed, muesli, chocolate or protein bar in the afternoon, you might want to give these super healthy, super nutritious, bars a go!
Absolutely brimming with nuts, seeds, fruit and superfoods these bars will be the pick me up you need, at any time of day! They have maca root, acai berry and chia seed in them, all of which are considered super foods and will provide you with a multitude of fantastic health benefits.
Maca root has been known to give energy and endurance, meaning not only is this a delicious treat, but it will result in more energy, unlike store bought muesli bars which are full of processed sugar and will result in an energy crash!
I’m sure you’ve heard it before, but i’ll tell you again! Raw nuts are one of the healthiest snacks you can eat! Each brings different vitamins and minerals to the table which is why this recipe involves both cashews and almonds.
Chocolate Berry Superfood Bars
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- 2 tbsp maca
- 2 tbsp cacao
- 1 cup dates
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1-3 tbsp almond milk
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp acai powder
- 1-2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 3/4 cup desicated coconut
- 1/4 cup chia seed
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 cup cashews
- tsp vanilla
- Line a baking tin with non stick paper
- Place all base ingredients apart from almond milk into the food processor and blend until fine and crumbly
- If the mix is too dry and doesn’t stick when pushed down add small amounts of almond milk and mix until sticky
- Push base down into tin firmly and place in freezer while you prepare top layer
- Place all topping ingredients into food processor and blend until smooth – will still be quite thick because of the frozen berries
- Pour onto the base and smooth down with a spatula
- Put any toppings on and push down into the mix
- Place in freezer to set for half an hour
- Slice into desired sizes! I store a few slices in the fridge and some in the freezer as they are best thawed a little!
Yum! These and super yummy definitely give them a go!